hydro4africa, your internet portal on hydropower in Africa
menu powered by Milonic
You are here: Comments and remarks to Wim Jonker Klunne


South African stamps of watermills

 
On the ninth of November 2007, the South African Post Offices issues a sheet of stamps displaying "mills of South Africa". The five stamps feature three water mills, a wind mill and a horse mill. Details of the water mills can be found below. Details of the other tow stamps, as well as information on how to order these stamps from the philatelic service can be found on the Sapo web site.
Dwars rivier watermill
Dwars Rivier Watermill - Cederberg, Western Cape: Set in the beautiful Cederberg Mountains on the wine estate, ‘Cederberg’. A watermill powered by the Dwars Rivier was built on a farm near Clanwilliam, which was established in 1893. Cedar wood from the area was used in building the mill, which had a wooden overshot wheel of the compass type which was easy to transport and consisted of four cedar wood spokes mortised into the axle.

GPS: S 32 30'10.9" E 019 15'32.7"
stoffberg watermill
Witpoort Watermill, Stoffberg, Mpumalanga: Willem Jacobus Volschenk built a beautiful little watermill on his farm, Witpoort towards the end of the 19th century. This mill was to play a small but vital role in the Anglo-Boer/South African War because it kept the Boers fed for the duration of the war. British forces ordered the mill dynamited but fortunately only the coarse grinder was destroyed. After a drought in 1963 the water powered mill was changed to tractor power. This reduced milling time significantly. The mill was electrified in 1986 which speeded up the process even more. Today, the attractive, red roofed mill house with its steel overshot wheel is a fascinating historic addition to what is now a privately owned sporting estate and nature reserve.

GPS: S 25 24'46.9" E 029 56'22.7"
La Cotte watermill
La Cotte Watermill, Franschhoek, Western Cape: In 1694, Jean Gardiol, a Huguenot, was granted the farm La Cotte in the Franschhoek valley. It is believed that the watermill was built early in the 18th century. According to a photograph taken early in the 20th century, the mill had a wooden overshot wheel and two different gables - one rectilinear with a false chimney and the other hipped. It was thatched and built from a combination of stone and clay bricks. There is a shuttered opening under the hipped gable from which the miller could reach the hatch in the launder to open and close it and so regulate the speed of the water

GPS: S 33 54'18.9" / E 019 07'57.1"
FDC
Leeuw River Watermill - Westminster, Free State: (used on the commemorative envelope.) On 11 June 1892, near the Free State town of Westminster, Charles Newberry’s wife laid the foundations of an imposing five storey sandstone mill that would be powered by a turbine driven by water from the Leeuw River. Newbury used ox wagons to build the dam wall upstream and imported a metal mill race. The ground floor of the mill was used to stockpile the grain, while the three upper levels housed the machinery. The roller mills - still in working condition in December 2002 - were designed and built by ERF Turner and Co of Ipswich in the United Kingdom. In 2003 the current owner, Piet le Roux, was engaged in repairing the turbine to restore the mill to full working condition.

more information on hydropower in South Africa




sponsored links


More information on renewables in Africa: wind4africa - solar4africa - biomass4africa